Saturday, February 7, 2015

Sugar Crystals

When I was eight years old,





I went to Fort Snelling on a class field trip.  I brought some of my own money and was curious to see what was in the old time store. When I saw the glittering colors of the rock candy, I knew instantly.  It was the first time I had tried this sweetness of pure sugar and I loved it!  Thereafter, I looked for this candy at every place we visited. 


When I found out we could make it at home, my mind was racing to the idea of eating rock candy everyday! I followed the directions, waited, but it didn't work.  The disappointed was so deep that I didn't want to try again.  Though rock candy continued to be one of my favorites. Probably next to cotton candy.  Two of the candies that weren't readily available way back when.  





Now years later, my own children want to make rock candy.  They measured, poured and waited.  They wanted to add color, though we only had raw sugar available at the time.  It worked! And it tasted how I remembered!  Mila wanted me to share it with you, so enjoy the success and the fun we had sharing in an experience...with history! We'll be making these again!

No comments:

Post a Comment